Welcome to my website. If you find yourself reading this, chances are there is something troubling you. This may be a specific problem you wish to explore or perhaps you just have a vague feeling that something is not quite right in your life just now. Or maybe you are just curious to find out more about therapy and what’s involved. Whatever the reason, I am delighted you have found my website and I hope this points you in the right direction towards a better and happier life.
This Is Your Time.
It is not easy finding the right therapist. There is so much information out there; different styles, modalities, ways of working, the therapist’s personality, cost, convenient (or not so) location making the process rather bamboozling all round. I hope I can simplify this for you by providing information about me, my practice, my background, my training, theoretical underpinnings, professional interests, areas of expertise and what to expect in terms of the practicalities of our working together. This is important as it will hopefully give you a really good sense of what therapy with me would actually look like. I want you to find a therapist who is the right ‘fit’ for you whom you trust with your problems and with the more vulnerable aspects of yourself. So here goes...
A Little About Me.
I am a UKCP-registered attachment-based psychoanalytic psychotherapist. You may already be wondering what all this means so let’s break it down. On the ‘About Psychotherapy’ page you will find more information about psychoanalytic psychotherapy and attachment and how they are relevant to our therapeutic work. On the ‘Links’ page you will find a link to the UKCP (UK Council for Psychotherapists) website, the governing UK-wide body to whom I am accredited and accountable. In order for me to be on their register I must prove that I adhere to their Code of Ethics, am in regular supervision, continue to develop my professional skills/expertise and that I continually reflect on and learn from my patients. This register is accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
I have thirteen years of experience working with adults in individual one-to-one therapy therefore not with children, groups or couples. I offer therapy face-to-face in person at my practice or on the telephone and via encrypted video-conferencing facilities. Some of the areas in which I have worked in the past are listed below. This is just a small range of the issues I have covered and so if your issue if not included here please get in touch anyway and we can discuss the best way forward.
- Romantic relationship difficulties.
- Difficulty with sibling relationships.
- Stress with friendships.
- Workplace stress, including difficulties with colleagues, redundancy, finding work and interview stress.
- Mid-life existential crises.
- Big lifestage-related changes such as retirement, having children, moving home.
- Feeling ‘stuck’ and not knowing how to move forward.
- Lack of confidence, and shame about oneself.
- Being different and feeling marginalised or affected by said difference.
- Historical bullying and abuse.
- Issues associated with gender and sexuality.
- Pregnancy, fertility difficulties, IVF and stillbirth.
- Relationships with the body, body-confidence and shame.
- Issues associated with ageing, including bereavement, losing friends and loved-ones, frailty in the body, retiring from work or negotiating the role of being a grandparent.
- Death anxiety and coming to terms with old age, dying and death.
For more information about my qualifications, training, how I work and life before I became a psychotherapist please go to the ‘About Nicky’ page on this website. For more information on arranging an initial meeting and what to expect if we work together, please go to the ‘What To Expect’ page.